Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Destination Numero Cuatro: Back to Your Roots

So after one of my older sisters (I have three of them) graduated from college, she volunteered with an organization called SIMON and part of her job was to travel to Ireland and help work in homeless shelters and different things like that. I actually don't know too much about her experience working with SIMON, but I know that she had the time of her life in Ireland.  My family name is actually the oldest name in Ireland and my dad has always been really proud of our heritage.  I think it's important to go back and explore the place of your ancestors...I would love to travel to Ireland.


I would love to visit the small, unique town of Cobh, which according to my sister is "beautifully situated near the sea" and is home to so many easy-going locals.  The houses are bright, quaint, and things just seem to be as they should in Cobh, which is located in Cork....and my last name is Cleary.  Maybe it's a sign.

On top of visiting small little irish towns like Cobh, I would love to visit another place that has unique ties to me and my heritage.  The Shannon River in Ireland is something I've heard about ever since I was a little girl, because in addition to being a point of interest Shannon is also my first name and I would love nothing more than to see the surrounding area and river in person.  Maybe I'd even bottle up a little of the river to take back with me, if it weren't for that river maybe my parent's would have named me Limerick or something...


Another thing to scratch off my bucket list while staying in Ireland:

A bed and breakfast:  http://www.barkersbedandbreakfast.com/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment