Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Destination Numero Uno: The Outdoor Adventure Capital of the World

Because I'm going to travel the world, I want to start with the first place I would go if someone gave me a plane ticket and told me to fly.  The place I've been dreaming about for as long as I can remember... New Zealand.

Not only is New Zealand known for it's invention of bungee jumping, but it's home to some of the most beautiful natural landscapes in the world.  Number one on my list of things to do in New Zealand: Caynyoning.  If you aren't familiar with the term (as most of us are not) here is a definition according to Wikipedia: Canyoning (known as canyoneering in the U.S.) is traveling in canyons using a variety of techniques that may include other outdoor activities such as walkingscramblingclimbing,jumpingabseiling, and/or swimming.


If this doesn't sound fun to you, I don't know what would.


Along with the definition Wikipedia also lists 4 hazards of the sport: flash floods, hypothermia, keeper potholes (deep holes carved by water that you can get stuck in), and very narrow slots.


I think those are all risks I'm willing to take, just look at how beautiful and adventurous this is:






Quote of the day: “Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe" --Anatole France

No comments:

Post a Comment