Friday, March 30, 2012

Destination Numero Ocho: Ruta 40, Argentina

Roadtrips have always been something I've enjoyed.  My family used to annually take a road trip West to visit my family in Montana when I was in middle and high school and I've been thinking about those trips a lot lately and I really miss them.  I think there's something incredibly special about road trips.  There's something about just sleeping in a car and brushing your teeth in gas stations that makes me really happy.  I'm always trying to convince my friends to go on spur of the moment road trips with me, but it seldom works out.


One trip I plan to make happen however, is this one...




http://www.turismo.gov.ar/eng/atra/ruta/mruta.htm


I need to make a visit to South America and I would love the chance to travel the length of Argentina and see what the Andes Mountains have in store for me.  According to National Geographic, Route 40 "runs parallel to the mountains, crossing 236 bridges and countless rivers, lakes, national parks, and mountain passes." 


The most important part of any road trip is the passengers.  I would love to take a car full of (semi) strangers and spend the entire trip getting to know each other...Or maybe, Route 40 would be an interesting anniversary vacation for Newlyweds or something.  Regardless of who goes, I'm sure an Argentinian road trip would be one I would never forget.








Quote of the day:“Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.” – Jack Kerouac

No comments:

Post a Comment